ASHP's statement on the pharmacist's role in antimicrobial stewardship and infection prevention and control. View
This website describe the ASP legislative mandates for acute care facilities.
- Antimicrobial Stewardship for the Community Hospital: Practical Tools & Techniques for Implementation, Clin Infect Dis, Volume 53, suppl 1, August 15, 2011.
- Appraising Contemporary Strategies to Combat Multidrug Resistant Gram-Negative Bacterial Infections–Proceedings and Data From the Gram-Negative Resistance Summit, Clin Infect Dis, 53(suppl 2); 2011.
- Get Smart for Healthcare campaign to improve antibiotic use in inpatient healthcare facilities, with references and a slide set for use in justifying ASPs based on their impact on antimicrobial use, resistance, and costs
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Campaign to Prevent Antimicrobial Resistance in Healthcare Settings. Fact sheet: 12 steps to prevent antimicrobial resistance among hospitalized adults (download pdf)
- Information on the burden, pathogens, types of infections, and prevention of healthcare-associated infections
This campaign is part of the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control.
Weekly postings of up to date lectures on infectious disease topics presented by ID physicians and PharmDs from University of South Florida. Also available as a smart phone app.
- December 2011, Volume: 1; In Liver Failure, Stewardship Lacking More oversight of antibiotic use in critically ill patients urged, by Fran Lowry
- October 2011, Volume: 1; Antibiotic Stewardship Made Simple: Pointers for Small Sites, Limited resources not a barrier, by Gina Shaw
- Special Topic Issue: Antimicrobial Stewardship (View Special Topic Issue)
- Antimicrobial Resistance State Fact Sheets (View Fact Sheet)
- AIDSA Testimony on Antibiotic Resistance, delivered before the House Energy and Commerce Health Subcommittee June 9, 2010 (View Testimony)
- AIDSA 10 x '20/STAAR Act Slide Presentation (PDF) Delivered by Brad Spellberg, MD, FIDSA at May 11, 2010 Congressional Briefing. (Download PDF)
- Guidelines for developing an institutional program to enhance antimicrobial stewardship (View PDF)
- Insights from the Society of Infectious Diseases Pharmacists on antimicrobial stewardship guidelines from the Infectious Diseases Society of America and the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America (View Abstract)
- Bad bugs, no drugs: as antibiotic discovery stagnates – a public health crisis brews. July 2004. (View)
- Bad bugs, no drugs: no ESKAPE! An update from the Infectious Diseases Society of America (View Abstract)
- The 10 x '20 Initiative: pursuing a global commitment to develop 10 new antibacterial drugs by 2020 (Download PDF)
Evidence-based toolkit for estimating the cost of hospital-acquired infections and antimicrobial resistance (Toolkit)
- Antimicrobial stewardship training program for pharmacists
- Educational programming on infectious diseases for pharmacists and physicians at annual meeting
The education programs allow the slides and transcripts to be downloaded.
- Expert Reviews and Commentary, John Bartlett's Game Changers in Infectious Disease: 2011, John G. Bartlett, MD; Posted: 10/26/2011
- The Many Faces of MRSA: Recognizing and Treating New At-Risk Populations CME, Marshall Kubota, MD; CME Released: 10/17/2011; Valid for credit through 10/17/2012
- Prevention of Healthcare-Associated Infections in an Era of Public Reporting: Present and Future, Edward J. Septimus, MD; Linda Greene, RN, MPS; Barbara W. Trautner, MD, PhD; Kamal Itani, MD; CME Released: 11/23/2011; Valid for credit through 11/23/2012
Includes new podcasts posted by the Antimicrobial Stewardship team on various topics.
There are many resources for hospitals to use as guides for implementing new ASPs or enhancing existing ones. A brief overview of these recommended interventions is provided here with links to selected guidelines and references.
- Antibiotic stewardship certificate program for pharmacists
- Listings of residency training programs and fellowships in infectious diseases
- Continuing education for pharmacists on various infectious diseases topics
- Downloadable tools and resources for antimicrobial stewardship
- Antimicrobial Stewardship Is Vital to Avoid a Return to the Preantibiotic Era
- SHEA President Neil O. Fishman, MD, explains why antimicrobial resistance is one of the greatest challenges that healthcare providers will confront during the coming decade. (View Video)
- Position statements, guidelines, and standards for infection control and preventing spread of antimicrobial resistance
- A Compendium of Strategies to Prevent Healthcare-Associated Infections in Acute Care Hospitals
This publication addresses prevention of six of the most common healthcare-associated infections: Clostridium difficile, methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, central line-associated bloodstream infections, ventilator-associated pneumonia, catheter-associated urinary tract infections, and surgical site infections.
The mission of the antimicrobial stewardship program is to optimize clinical outcomes of antimicrobial use in adults across the UCLA Health System. The ASP works to ensure the optimal selection, dose, and duration of antimicrobials that lead to the best clinical outcome for the treatment or prevention of infection while producing the fewest possible side effects and the lowest risk for subsequent resistance.
Antimicrobial Stewardship Program: Antimicrobial Restrictions, Antimicrobial Guidebook, Clinical Pathways, Dosing Protocols, etc. (View Website)
- Performance Standards for Antimicrobial Disk Susceptibility Tests; Approved Standard. 10th edition (M02-A10; contains the current Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute-recommended methods for disk susceptibility testing, criteria for quality control testing, and updated tables for interpretive zone diameters)
- Methods for Dilution Antimicrobial Susceptibility Tests for Bacteria That Grow Aerobically; Approved Standard- Eighth Edition (M07-A8; addresses reference methods for the determination of minimal inhibitory concentrations of aerobic bacteria by broth macrodilution, broth microdilution, and agar dilution)
- Performance Standards for Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing; Twentieth Informational Supplement (M100-S20; provides updated tables for the Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute antimicrobial susceptibility testing standards M02-A10 and M07-A8)
- Antibiograms: Developing Cumulative Reports for Your Clinicians Quick Guide (M39-A3 QG)